Some like it hot! Every once in awhile, I get a craving for something spicy. There is something undeniably intriguing about food that gets your taste buds sizzling—figuratively, anyway. And jalapenos are one of the best ways to give your food a kick without making it too overbearing or overwhelming. If your taste buds need a little kick, check out my Spicy Jalapeno Puff Pastry Appetizers
I’ve always had a fondness for food with a bit of spice to it; as a kid, I distinctly remember an aunt who always had a healthy supply of pickled mild peppers, the kind you find in a jar. When we would visit long enough to eat lunch, I would put together my deli sandwich and then head to the fridge for the jar of peppers. With my fork, I would scoop out pepper ring after pepper ring, piling them into my sandwich so that my first bite would be spicy, tangy, and just a bit sweet. One day, she had a new jar of peppers: pickled jalapenos. I’d never tried them before and I didn’t think to ask. When making my sandwich that day, I simply scooped on tons of pickled jalapeno rings and began munching away. The result, as you can imagine, was less than pleasant. Let’s just say an entire quart of milk may have disappeared that afternoon.
But over the years, my love—and thankfully, my tolerance—for spicy food grew. Soon the jalapeno rings were not something that sent me crying and running for the hills, but something I enjoyed eating now and then when I was craving something with a spicy bite to it.
And that is where my recipe for a jalapeno puff pastry falls into place. This delicious recipe combines the spicy bite of a jalapeno with the soothing, delicious, and buttery goodness of a puff pastry. The pastry will help keep it from being too overwhelming, which is a bonus if you’re hosting a party or having people over who aren’t too wild about super-hot foods.
This particular recipe is perfect for parties and other get-togethers. It makes for an ideal appetizer since it can be picked up with one hand and isn’t messy or otherwise fussy. You can also serve it as a side, but, most people would probably associate a “jalapeno bite” with an appetizer menu.
Thankfully, it is easy to make, looks impressive, and doesn’t cost a lot of money to make at all. In other words, it’s the perfect choice when you’re making something for a family potluck!
If you’re feeling a bit daring, feel free to alter the recipe to make it spicier; for instance, leaving in the jalapeno seeds or not scraping away the entire membrane will make your Jalapeno Puff Pastry Appetizers much spicier.
If you are ready to enjoy a rich puff pastry with a spicy jalapeno kick, read on to discover the recipe that will have people begging you to share after you bring a dish filled with these pastries to your next family gathering, work event, or backyard BBQ.
Looking for more food with a kick? Check out my Spicy Peanut Butter Bacon Burger.
Jalapeno Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ lg Jalapeno pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place puff pastry on top.
- Using a paring knife, cut puff pastry into 16 squares, about 2x2 inches in size each. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip cream cheese with an electric mixer. This will make the cream cheese easier to work with.
- Add salt, pepper and shredded cheese into bowl of cream cheese and fold.
- Remove seeds from jalapeno pepper and dice into small pieces.
- Add about 1 ½ tsps of the cheese mixture in the center of each puff pastry square. Top it off with the diced jalapeno.
- Take two opposite corners of each square and have them meet in the middle. Press down to seal.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!