Is there anything better than a delicious honey cinnamon roll in the morning—or afternoon—or, well, any time of day or night? If you are a lover of cinnamon rolls like I am, you will fall in love with this Quick and Simple Honey Cinnamon Roll Recipe.
I can think of few foods more comforting and nostalgic than a good cinnamon roll. Cinnamon rolls bring to mind heading to the mall as a teenager, the scent of Cinnabun wafting through the air; it also brings to mind a lazy Saturday morning, when I sometimes like to bake cinnamon rolls to pair with coffee or, for the kids, fresh orange juice.
A regular cinnamon roll recipe is delicious enough, but I’ve never been one to settle for “delicious enough”—especially when it comes to sugary sweet rolls that are designed to be indulgent, amazing, and sure to end up on anyone’s “most requested baked good” list.
But how to make cinnamon rolls more exciting than they already are? One word: honey. Yes, honey. Honey is decadent without being overbearing or cloying. It also adds a unique type of sweetness that contrasts really nicely with the traditional icing in a cinnamon roll. You can use any honey for this honey cinnamon roll recipe, too, which means you can experiment with different brands and batches. When I’ve made this with floral honey, it has a unique twist that gives it an even more special “oomph” than using regular store-brand honey. Of course, even store brand honey is going to turn this delicious treat into something special, so don’t feel that you have to splurge on something from a farmer’s market.
Of course, you might be wondering: how long is it going to take me to bake these? As a busy person myself, who often juggles work and home and everything in between, I know that time is precious. And sometimes you just don’t have the time, energy, or ability to spend a lot of time baking in the kitchen. Mixing, measuring, pouring, wiping down the inevitable dough spills before someone else heads into the kitchen and sees the mess you’ve made… it can be a lot sometimes. This is why I think that this recipe is really going to surprise you: it’s incredibly quick, easy, and perfect for beginner bakers who are a bit nervous about getting their feet wet.
Personally, I can’t get enough of this honey cinnamon roll recipe. Once you try it, you’ll know exactly what I mean when I say that it’s a bit addicting! Once you get this recipe down pat, you’ll want to try it again and again with little twists.
If you’re ready for a cinnamon roll recipe with a sweet honey twist that will elevate them to another level, be sure to try out this recipe. It’s perfect for a lazy Saturday morning when you want to bake something special that seems more time-consuming than it really is; it’s also great for afternoon treats, evening snacks, or even a bake sale if you’re in the mood.
With all that out of the way, check out the recipe below!
Simple Honey Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- 1 cup milk room temperature
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp table salt
- 4½ tsp rapid rise yeast about 2 packages
- 4½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup honey or molasses
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2½ tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter. Combine in a medium bowl with room temperature milk, sugar and salt. Mixture should be warm but not hot (between 105-110 F if using thermometer) In a large bowl, combine the yeast with 2 cups of flour and yeast until well mixed.
- Stir the butter mixture into the flour and yeast mixture. Add in the egg and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the remaining 2 cups of flour about ½ cup at a time.You may not need to use all of the flour, the dough needs to pull away from the bowl easily. If dough is too sticky, continue to add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until the right consistency.
- Rest dough for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking dish with parchment paper or grease well.
- Sprinkle a cutting board or counter with flour and roll out the dough until about 12x16 inches. Spread softened butter over dough, being sure to go right to the edges leaving a 1-inch strip without butter on outer edges.
- Next, spread the honey sugar filling across the buttered dough, leaving the 1-inch strip. Roll the dough into a tight, even log and seal the seam by pinching together.
- Slice the rolls into 1 and ½ inch rounds and place into the baking dish. Cover the pan with a damp towel and set in a warm spot for 25 minutes until puffy (may need longer to rise depending on your yeast).
- Place into oven and bake for 20-22 minutes until the tops are a light golden brown.
- While rolls are baking, mix together the cream cheese and butter. Add in the vanilla and sugar (about ½ cup at a time) until well blended and smooth.
- Once rolls are finished let cool slightly, and then frost well.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.