Love Pop-Tarts but don’t love processed food? If you’re like me and are always trying to find a healthier alternative to your favorite treats, I’ve got a fun recipe lined up for you today. Check out this easy recipe for creating your own DIY Air Fryer Pop-Tarts.
Super Easy DIY Air Fryer Pop-Tarts
Pop-Tarts have always been one of Reese’s favorite go-to snacks, but I’m always trying to look for healthier snacks that are not processed and loaded with sugar. With their extensive range of flavors, they are such a tempting and quick breakfast or afternoon snack. However, as someone who loves to cook, I’m always aware of the ingredients I’m putting into everything I make and therefore what I’m putting into Reese’s body. Sometimes I’m just not happy with what I see on ingredients lists anymore, so I try and find easy alternative ways to make them myself!
Pop-Tarts have been around since 1964 and are a kitchen staple in many households. They’re so easy to pop in the toaster or microwave to warm up. I’m always interested to see what new limited-edition flavors come out, and I love some of the seasonal options in the range.
Our recipe today takes only 30 minutes to make. With very few ingredients, they are a quick and easy breakfast to make for the whole family. Kids will love them, and they won’t even notice the difference between your creation and the store-bought ones. They are really fun to make with kids, and they’ll love helping out and getting involved before eating their creation. They will particularly enjoy decorating them, and you can switch out the sprinkles for anything you’d like to finish them off with. Let your kids get creative and add their own personal touch to their breakfast!
If you’re like me and always in a rush before school or work, you don’t want breakfasts taking too long. So I’ve saved time on this recipe by using a pre-made pie crust. This means less time cooking, and more time eating! I chose to use strawberries in this recipe to get in some fresh fruit but If you aren’t a fan of strawberries, raspberries or blueberries are other good choices.
I made this recipe in my air fryer so I didn’t have to pull out my deep fryer. I love my air fryer, it’s one of my favorite kitchen appliances. I’ve had mine for a couple of years now, and I couldn’t imagine my kitchen without it. I always find the food I make in the air fryer tastes healthier and fresher than deep-fried foods. It means your cooking is lower in fat and calories and you don’t have to use too much oil. Some of my other favorite dishes to make in the air fryer are fries and donuts. I’ve even tried making chocolate chip cookies in it recently, and they were delicious!
I’m planning to make these Super Easy DIY Air Fryer Pop-Tarts as a treat over the holidays. I think they would be a fun addition to your Halloween dessert buffet if you swap put the sprinkles for orange and black ones. Your kids will be thrilled to see a familiar snack!
Super Easy DIY Air Fryer Pop-Tarts
- Air Fryer
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- I package rolled unbaked pie crust 2 in the package
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- In a microwavable bowl, mix the strawberries and sugar and place in the microwave for 5 minutes. Stir. Put back in for another 2 minutes. The filling should now look like a jelly (a runny one). Let it cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough sheets and cut each one into a large square. From there, create 4 equal squares per sheet.
- Add about a tablespoon of filling to the top of 4 of the pastry sheets.
- Place the tops on each of the 4 bottoms with filling and take a fork to press in around the edges.
- Spray each pop tart front and back with a nonstick spray and cook in the air fryer for 7-10 minutes. Check them for browning, you do not want to burn them, but you do want them a golden color.
- When done, place on cooling rack for 30-45 minutes.
- Mix lemon juice and powdered sugar to drizzle for icing.
- Add sprinkles.