Are you tired of Chinese takeout taking forever to arrive? Then try this Easy Chinese Pan-Fried Vegan Vegetable Buns recipe. Not only does it taste amazing, but it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. That delivery driver will still be looking for your house while you’re busy enjoying these tasty buns!
I came up with this recipe for a meatless Monday meal. We were craving Chinese food and I thought it might be fun to concoct something based on these amazing meat buns we’d tasted in Vegas. They were SO good. The kind of good that almost makes you buy a plane ticket out there to taste again.
Of course, I couldn’t do that so my next option was to figure out how to make Vegan Vegetable Buns myself. I used shiitake mushrooms which not only have all that Asian feel to them but they also give it a meaty-quality and flavor. Bok choy, onions, garlic, and carrots round out the rest of the filling so you’re getting plenty of crunch, texture, and taste plus a bounty of healthy nutrients.
The dough is really easy to make too. I mean, this whole recipe takes only 30 minutes to make, including the dough. Most dough recipes require rising and all that jazz. All you’ll need to do here is cut right to the chase with self-rising flour. It’s a little bit of mixing and then you make the filling while it sits for a few minutes.
Yup, it’s ready to go after that, allowing you to fill it up and stuff it. One key factor with the dough though is that you’ll be rolling them into balls and you have to keep them the same size and thickness. If not, you won’t be able to close it around your filling and you’ll have a messy meatless Monday.
These are so fun for an appetizer or snack. You can also double the recipe to make even more of them for a party or just to enjoy as a meal. They’re very filling and satisfying. And the best part is they’re made with wholesome ingredients which makes eating healthier even easier.
I loved these vegan vegetable buns while they’re still hot but they are still just as tasty when they’re cold. These are totally the perfect little street food treat right in your own kitchen!
Vegan Pan Fried Vegetable Buns
Bun Dough Ingredients
- 1½ c self-raising flour more for the working space
- ¾ hot water
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 head bok choy chopped the stems
- 1 small carrot sliced
- ¼ small onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2+2 tbsp tablespoons oil
- ½ black pepper
- salt to taste
- soya sauce optional
- Prepare your dough. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt and create a well in the center of the flour. Pour hot water and oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until the water is a bit cold then with your hands. Knead for about 2 minutes. If sticky add more oil. Cover and leave on the side while preparing the fillings.
- Floured your working place. Divide dough into 5 balls. Roll each ball flat in a round shape with a rolling pin. It must be 0.5 inch thick.
- Add filling in the center then fold the bun up and around the filling making sure to seal the top by pinching with your fingers. Repeat until all buns are assembled.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non stick pan over medium heat. Place buns in the pan with the pinched-side up. Cook until golden brown and crispy then flip them over and carefully. Cook also until golden brown and crispy. Then do the same with side. Bring the buns close to each other to as support while cooking the sides.
- Serve warm or cold.